Monday, May 6, 2013

Ways to get some stuff done

This is a bit of a stupid post. You know those lazy days when you have to get some stuff done but you can't be bothered doing anything? Well, here's some really stupid ways that you may or may not be motivated to do something (maybe not a lot, but something).

Method #1: I Really Want to Play Video Games but I Have to Get Some Stuff Done

I actually finished off the Chapter 5 and Chapter 6 end-of-chapter questions in my book while using this method. It took a while, but at least I got my gaming fix done at the same time.

You have to pick a game that can be played in short bursts. For example, in something like Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, you could divide it up into floor at a time. Then, pick an assignment or task that can be divided up into short bursts. For example, with my chemistry questions, I just did a question at a time. (However, make sure that the assignment chunks take at least roughly the same amount of time as the gaming chunks so that you are getting stuff done.) Then alternate between the two activities until you've gotten everything done.

Method #2: Last Minute Warrior

Some people do better under pressure. This method is for them. I'm sure you all know how it works without me having to explain.

WARNING: Don't do this if you can't handle stress, or if you actually have something important to do the next day which might require you to have had a good night's rest the night before.

Method #3: The List

Write a list of everything that you have to do. Break some stuff down into smaller chunks. For example, a 2000 word essay could be broken down into "write 500 words," "write next 500 words" and so on. If writing 500 words still looks like a massive hurdle, break it down further into 250 words or something.

Method #4: Go With the Flow

This only really works for nerdy people who sometimes find studying fun. It works better when there isn't anything more interesting to do.

Basically the idea is that you study when you feel like it and you don't study when you don't feel like it. It works if you have a genuine interest in the subjects that you're studying because if you're like me, once you get started you can study for hours (though sometimes the trouble is getting started in the first place). However, you might be better advised not to use this method when it comes to studying for something that you hate and you tend to avoid at all costs (like me and Lit).

Method #5: Race Your Friends

It works for some people. I'm not that competitive though so I don't use this method. But hey, I guess Facebook has its study advantages...

Method #6: Do Non-Computer Stuff First

The reason that I say this is that I know that I tend to procrastinate and play random games like Bush Whacker 2 when I'm on the computer. If I do non-computer stuff first, then I get more stuff done.

Method #7: Create a Non-Admin Account on your Computer

Never done this, but I have considered it. If you create a non-admin account and then put on parental controls so that you can't play games and do all your normal procrastination stuff, then you might get stuff done. Still, make sure to reward yourself afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment